Small businesses are perfect targets for hackers attempting to gain information to commit various acts of cyber crime. Most small businesses have vulnerabilities which are easy to exploit due to the lack of employee training, unsecure network and Internet connections, and improper call handling procedures. Fortunately, there are several things you can do, such as outsource certain business functions and call center services, as well as:
- Implement Strict Phone Policies: If the customer provides sensitive information, like their credit card number or billing addresses, do not verbally repeat it back to them. In addition, never give a caller a social security number or even part of it.
- Secure Your Internet Connection: Make sure your Internet is protected by a firewall, encrypted Internet connections, and password protected wireless Internet routers.
- Keep Anti-virus, Anti-spam and filter controls updated. Make it habit to constantly update these types of protection to ensure you are running the latest versions.
- Limit Internet Access: Restrict website access to only those sites needed to conduct business and block all others.
- Require Frequent Password Changes: Passwords need to be changed every 60 to 90 days and should be strong. Use a password detection tool to determine password strength. Strong passwords use a combination of upper case and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.
In the event you are having issues maintaining strong and secure networks and work environments, consider outsourcing certain business functions where sensitive data is used to a qualified answering service call center, like us, here at Personalized Communications. We already have strategies in place to keep our clients’ sensitive data secure and protected from cyber criminals. To learn more about our solutions, contact us now at 1-800-606-9898.